lauantaina, joulukuuta 22

kuvia!

as joululoma (Christmas vacation) has just started, I figured it was time for a small photo update. I shall try to muster a blogpost sometime soon that contains actual text, but, after uploading these pictures...

the button accordion that I received as a loan from Pappa (maternal grandfather). he plays it far better than I, but it is immensely fun to play around on.
candles (both wax and electric) are everywhere. they joined forces with the snow and are bravely battling the darkness.
our front yard on the 6th of December (Finnish independence day)
oops, I guess I was feeling a bit patriotic.
äiti took me skiing on Independence Day. I didn't realize at the time that she was taking a picture, so I am not posing. this is how we ski in America, right?
on the way home from skiing, I paid another (my third) visit to the viewtower. the first time I went there, the sun was shining and the world was green. the second time was during the rain and fog of autumn. and this time, climbing the snow-blanketed steps in skiboots, it was definitely winter.
the museum at the top of the hill.
this is Finland, folks.
today I went to a friend's house for her birthday. we went snowshoeing in the field and woods behind their house. this is Meri and the field, in the ~14:00 sunset of the day after the winter solstice.

snowshoeing for the first time! the only feeling stranger than putting on snowshoes and feeling like you have enormous feet is taking them off and realizing that you have minuscule feet.

left to right: Meri, me, Meri and Sara's father Juke

minä. many thanks to Sara (whose birthday it was) for the pictures in which I am. <:

!
joulukuusi! kuusi, for the record, means both six and fir/spruce, though they're declined differently, as iskä has been teaching me. we plucked it from the woods last weekend and just brought it inside/decorated it today.
obligatory Christmas bokeh picture. <:

5 kommenttia:

  1. I'm exploring exchange programs and your blog is absolutely fascinating to read! It's really convinced me that traveling to a foreign country is 100% worthwhile. :) Plus, your photography skills and personal voice just add to the blog's quality.
    -Christiana

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. what a fabulous comment to receive! thank you so very much for these words, Christina. if you have any questions about exchange (particularly if you're thinking of coming to Finland!) don't hesitate to email me. no guarantee that i can answer, but it would be lovely to hear from you! c:

      Poista
  2. Funny. I remember commenting on this some time ago. I guess I had some trouble saving it.
    Now, then.. Where was I? Who know?
    In any case, I surely like the moon picture, as you would expect. So architectural. The image of you in the red cap is another delight - the color against the monochromatic background, and your lovely smile.
    The entire mid-winter solstice experience in the far north seems like a dream, and you seem to be enjoying being immersed in it to the fullest extent.
    Keep it up!

    VastaaPoista